Sunday, March 28, 2010

A modern-day testimony

I am preparing a lesson on the Atonement of Jesus Christ and came across this powerful testimony of Elder McConkie:

"And now, as pertaining to this perfect atonement, wrought by the shedding of the blood of God—I testify that it took place in Gethsemane and at Golgotha, and as pertaining to Jesus Christ, I testify that he is the Son of the Living God and was crucified for the sins of the world. He is our Lord, our God, and our King. This I know of myself independent of any other person.

I am one of his witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears.

But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God’s Almighty Son, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way." (Bruce R. McConkie, “The Purifying Power of Gethsemane,” Ensign, May 1985)

He passed away less than two weeks later.

We are blessed to live in a time of true and living prophets, seers, and revelators - true apostles of Jesus Christ. There is safety in following their council.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Love this quote.